Madalinemmmbop's whirlwind in Disneyland

Saturday, May 20, 2006

It´s a small, small world...

Me - Quilotoa lake

So, not only did I have breakfast the other morning with a girl who lives next to Davey P on the Green in Ealing but it turns out that Joubin* went to school with one of Duncan´s best friends that he met at uni. As if that wasn`t enough we randomly met some Polish guy in a cafe yesterday who lived in the same flats as lovely Laura MacB in Hackney. I mean, come on.

In brief things are amazing. Hairy old bus ride to Latacunga with the boys yesterday. Checked in to a three bed room in Hostal Central. Went for Columbian coffee. Met a Polish guy called Marcin. Went to a rock bar that put on a live Rasmus DVD (can this place get any better?) Got some Persian yoghurt. Hit the sack for our 7.30am start...

Got driven up through the mountains. Drove so high we went through the clouds. Can`t actually describe it but for some sort of bench mark; I actually wept 3 times as my eyes couldn`t quite believe how beautiful it was. Saw how the indigenous people live - totally self sufficient in grass huts. One man who we stopped to talk to had never heard of England... Went to a market where we were the only Gringos. Then got to the crystal clear, turquoise lake Quilotoa. Where I cried again.

Quilotoa lake

Duncan about to start the hike

With the risk of sounding totally gay (sorry Duncs) - being slapped in the face with such astounding beauty kind of blew me away. It put things totally in to perspective. It made me ashamed of all the insignificant rubbish that stresses me out on a daily basis at home. I´ll forget it. I know I will. I`ll return and be just the same. But for those few hours I felt incredible. Okay, enough.

Here´s the last 24 hours in a few snaps. More pictures on my Flickr...

The boys

The mountains

Jaobin - hip shot

Market - hip shot

Market - hip shot

Market - hip shot

Jaobin, poncho, again

Duncan on a cliff top

Marcin. Armed.

Jaobin and his native food

Dunc in our room

*Note, I´ve spelt his name wrong on some of the pictures on my blog. Clearly had my mind elsewhere, didn´t I?