Madalinemmmbop's whirlwind in Disneyland

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Starry eyed surprise

Mount Cook

Mount Cook

Lake Tekapo

Ever since she got here Anna's been (some would say bleating) on about going to Lake Tekapo and checking out the stars. I'm not really in to stars. They're pretty and everything - and the ones I saw on the Bolivian salt flats will stay with me forever (seriously - the sky was more white than black, saw the milky way and everything) - but I'm no Patrick Stewart (Duncan, is he the right one?) But they all seemed pretty up for a night of star gazing, so I was in (practically a hippy these days aren't I?)

The drive to the lake was, again, pretty special. Check me out - loving New Zealand all of a sudden. Amazing lakes, snow capped mountains - the usual. And then we were there. In the middle of nothing. Literaly, a hostel next to the lake and nothing else. Took a drive up to the astronomy observation point which was on a hill overlooking a whole lot of nothing. The sky was massive, with really weird clouds hanging over a whole load of nothing. There was just nothing. Nothing. It was pretty awesome.

Lake Tekapo

The wind, however, was stronger than anything I've felt before. It actually bowled me over. It was so strong that the star gazing was called off (still don't really get this - surely the wind can't blow the stars out of the sky!?) so, gutted, we had to settle for an evening inside playing Risk. This in itself was an education. I learnt that India is in fact BELOW China. So thankfully the evening wasn't a complete waste.

Risk