Madalinemmmbop's whirlwind in Disneyland

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Warriors come out to play

Terracotta Warriors, Xi'an

(I know, I know - there's a red line through it. I like it like that. It's 'arty'. Like that car advert they used to show in the cinema. Remember that one Duncan?)

The Terracotta Warriors. Now, correct me if I'm wrong mum, but didn't 2 of them rock up for some exhibition in Bournemouth when I was a kid? Didn't we go and see them? And didn't it turn out that they were fakes?

Anyway, because these are the real ones, Duncan and I felt we kind of *had* to go and take a visit. So, we took an overnight sleeper train (plush) down to Xi'an. Xi'an is WAY better than Beijing. It's completely different. Everyone there is really young and trendy and sporting wicked, futuristic haircuts. It's the way we like it. All our friends are cool and trendy and good looking, and quite frankly Duncan and I don't like to be surrounded by anything less. So it was a welcome change.

However, the people there were obsessed with us. It was how I imagine Victoria Beckham feels. They ran to shop windows as we passed, pointing and giggling. They even stopped for photos with us. It was great. It's exactly how I've always imagined my life being.

So. The Warriors were as expected. Loads of them, all put back together, all different, all in rows. Don't get me wrong. They are amazing and the whole idea behind them I find phenomenal (you know the story right? Some king commissioned a load of people to create a whole army to guard his grave. There's shed loads. Each one unique. It's quite something.) But when you're finally faced with them it's kind of like "oooh, cool! Wowser! Shall we go and get some lunch?"

Terracotta Warriors, Xi'an

(Here I am with lots of older men. Just the way I like it. Just call me Anna Nicole.)

Terracotta Warriors, Xi'an

Terracotta Warriors, Xi'an

But I really enjoyed it. I did. And it was fun getting there and back on the local buses (travellers, say no to organised tours.) A good day was had by all.