Madalinemmmbop's whirlwind in Disneyland

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Koh Sam(ui)

Koh Samui

According to the Lonely Planet, Koh Samui is much like "a beautiful woman who wears too much make-up." So Duncan cleverly re-named it "Koh Sam." Really darling, you should work in newspapers.

It was the next island on the list, so we headed there after saying goodbye to Dan and Sarah (see you in Essex, my lovelies.) It's a bigger island with roads and cars and stuff and I immediately hated it. A few hours later I loved it. Can we see a pattern emerging here? Someone doesn't like change.

Checked in to a wicked cheap, clean, fancy, guesthouse with AC. It's all about the AC these days. Eve and I had our own room to do girly stuff in (we hired a DVD player and watched Sex and the City) and the boys had the room next door to contain the testosterone.

Hired a jeep for the day and drove around the island checking out waterfalls, seeing elephants, photographing strange statues, picking up puppies, visiting a mumified monk (I'm not even kidding. He wears shades because his eyes melted away) and (the best bit) trawling the shops for fake designer knock offs. Yes people, we found them. Exactly what we were expecting in Bangkok. All here. On the island. Whatever designer knock off you want - you can get it. And man, are they good?

I couldn't afford it, but it would be rude not to come to Thailand and not get a bag right? So I got a beautiful real leather Mui Mui handbag for next to nothing. I know it's a goody because my beloved Sugar Fashion Stylist Charlotte Kewley sports a real one. That's right. Girls, look what you've done to me! I remember a day when I was more than happy with my rucksack that was held together with safety pins. Not anymore. I'm all about the (fake) labels. I make myself sick. But I look great, so that's all that matters.