Madalinemmmbop's whirlwind in Disneyland

Monday, March 26, 2007

Pure Shores

The Beach

Everyone who's been to Thailand has seen The Beach. And those who have seen it ALWAYS claim the book's better (I hate people that always claim the book is better btw - if you know the book's bound to be better, don't bother watching the film. You make people like me who don't read and enjoy being spoonfed by a big Hollywood movie feel inadequate.) I haven't seen the film. Nor have I read the book. So I don't know which is *actually* better. Although my money's on the movie. Obvs.

Anyway, in the movie (see what I did there) Leonardo DiCaprio is doing a spot of travelling in Thailand like me and Duncs, when he gets told of this secret, paradise island. So he visits it. I'm not sure what happens next. And I don't really want to know because I do planning on watching it now I've been ON SET.

The Beach, from the film

Chilling on The Beach

The beach that they used is on a small island just off Koh Phi Phi, so the six of us hired a boat for the day and did a spot of island hopping and snorkelling. And it was amaaaazing.

Snorkel

Sarah

The water was clear, the sea life was close to that on the Great Barrier Reef and the sun was mighty hot. The sand on 'The Beach' was white and silky as you'd expect, although sadly there was loads of rubbish. But that aside we were spoilt with utter beauty all day. The boys even felt the need to jump off a rocky cliff edge. The girls didn't.

Boat trip - Phi Phi

Boat trip - Phi Phi

Dunc and Eve