Madalinemmmbop's whirlwind in Disneyland

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

And I want, and I need, and I love - ANIMAL(s)

My hero

Today was the day. After months, even years, of harping on about it I *finally* got to go to Australia Zoo. Home of the Crocodile Hunter. And guess what? Loved it, didn't I?

So yeah, when Duncan and I were planning our trip, he had a massive check list of places he wanted to go to and things he needed to do. Places that had stirred his spirit. Places he'd learned about when he was a kid. Places he'd studied. Places that were going to complete him. Me? All I really wanted to do apart from see the Big JC in Rio (done it) was meet Steve Irwin and hold a koala. And, in the words of Meatloaf, two out of three ain't bad.

Jaffa

Roger Bishop had chucked us on the insurance for his massive BMW so that Duncs and I could rock up looking the bomb. Which we did. And then it began. Hours and hours of animal interaction. Guys, I know how to have a good time.

Steve Irwin (God bless his soul) opened the croc show on a massive screen. From beyond the grave. I cried (right, it was emotional, okay?) but the tears soon dried as the whole stadium had to do a 'crikey-off', one side against the other. We won. For sheez.

Then we checked out Tasmanian Devils (old lady in ear shot: "they don't move as fast as the cartoon character do they?"), wombats (another old lady in ear shot: "the Wombles were wombats"), snakes, lizards, koalas, fed elephants, fed kangeroos and watched tigers splashing about in a huge tank. It was ace. Ace. Mo.

Me and Roo

I'm a bit over koalas now. They're cute and everything and I was *totally* stoked to get my mitts on one properly, but as with men I'm fickle (right Ady?) and my new favourite is the kangeroo. Duncan and I spent ages feeding them in the park and apart from the one that hissed at me and went to claw my face off (never try and kiss a wild animal, Sam) they're wicked. Daddy, can I have one?

Kangeroo kiss

So after an amazing day (the only thing that could have made it any better was if Duncan had actually got to hold Bindi Irwin) we finished the night off at Roger Bishop's family Halloween party. Drinking wine, eating fine food and carving pumpkins. Did I mention he's a star?

Halloween pumpkins