Madalinemmmbop's whirlwind in Disneyland

Monday, October 23, 2006

Darling it's better, down where it's wetter, take it from me...

Just look at the world around you, Right here on the ocean floor, Such wonderful things surround you, What more is you lookin' for?

Great Barrier Reef

Anthony - Great Barrier Reef

Yesterday we went snorkelling over the Great Barrier Reef. And, yep - you've guessed it - it was UN.REAL.

Set off was pretty early and we were on the boat by 8.15am, popping shed loads of sea sickness tablets. They'd warned us that the ride would more than likely make us yackedy yack. Joy. I can't remember the last time I spewed on a boat but I wasn't relishing the thought in the slightest. As it was, my stomach was flipped no sooner had we got on board...at the sight of the young, hunky deck boy Jack. Grrrr. Believe me, they don't make them like that in the UK. So anyways, Dunc and I held on to our breakfasts and sat out at the back loving the wet, bumpy ride and (funnily enough) loving the view - Jack. (Swoon.)

An hour later we'd reached the reef, were wet-suited and flipper-booted and ready to rock. And man alive, was it amazing? Answer = it certainly was. We had two hours out over the first reef, but it felt like 5 minutes. I could have stayed there all day. It was just like being in Finding Nemo. Or The Little Mermaid. Or Sponge Bob Square Pants. Just incredible.

Now, I've done quite a lot of snorkelling in some pretty impressive places (the least impressive but perhaps the funnest being Porthscatho in Wales where cousin Kate and I would freeze ourselves yearly to oggle at murky, brown rock pools. I think we were more interested in the hot rice pudding and flake which always followed...) like Brazil and stuff. Saw loads of tropical fish there. Even a star fish. Ooooohhhh. Aaaaahhh. Yeah, all pretty cool. But this. This was just something else. It doesn't even slightly compare. Not slightly.

Whilst Anthony went diving, Duncan and I flippered along with bright green and purple parrot fish the size of Holly Dog, over masses of bright blue and yellow coral, swam down to see huge sea clams yawning, dodged a stingray, saw fish I couldn't have invented even if I'd tried and held a massive sea slug thing (think the Wichety Grub that Jordan gobbled up on I'm a Celeb, but the size of a cat) that had been plucked from the seabed by Jack (swoon.) Jack also grabbed hold of a shark - with his bare hands - so that we could have a look. Chicks dig dare devils. (Swoon, swoon.)

Coral - Great Barrier Reef

Coral - Great Barrier Reef

Shark - Great Barrier Reef

Clam - Great Barrier Reef

Sweetlip - Great Barrier Reef

So after a buffet lunch and lecture about coral, fish and marine biology we jetted off to another reef and had 2 more hours there before heading back to land. Neither Duncan or I wanted it to be over - not ever - and I think we've decided that although it's expensive, we're going back out there for more of the same next week. It's topped everything I've done so far. Totally loved it, didn't I?

Up on the shore they work all day, Out in the sun they slave away, While we devotin', Full time to floatin', Under the sea, We got no troubles, Life is the bubbles, Under the sea...